Answering questions about your design process in an unnatural situation like a job interview can be numbing. But all it takes is some preparation to alleviate some of that pressure.
In this article, you can find some of the most asked UX/UI interview questions on 5 large topics, based on 19 articles and questions banks:
Topic 1: Success & failiure
Highlight your strengths, recognize your weaknesses, and demonstrate humility as a UI/UX designer.
- Tell us about your most/least successful project
- Tell us about a time when a project didn’t go as planned. How did you deal with it?
- What are some of the biggest challenges you face as a designer?
Topic 02: Advocating for UX
Prove that you can effectively advocate for UX best practices even in high-stakes situations.
- What is the value of UX design?
- Recall a time when you disagreed with a goal or recommendation and how you handled it
- Tell us about a time you had to convince others about a design decision. What was the result?
Topic 3: Inspiration & passion
Showcase that you keep yourself up-to-date, you have a critical eye, and you’re passionate about your profession.
- Where do you seek design inspiration/trends?
- What was your favorite and/or most innovative design you ever did?
- Describe a product you love/hate. How would you improve it?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Topic 4: Your design process
Show your point of view and knowledge of UX design principles, best practices, and methods.
- Walk us through your design process using a recent project from your portfolio
- Which research methods do you apply when starting a new project?
- Whiteboard a solution to enhance the experience of…
Topic 5: Company & teamwork
Show that you’ve researched the company and you can give constructive criticism backed by your expertise.
- How would you improve the UX of our product?
- Why do you want to work with us?
- What is your strategy for communicating UX changes to developers and designers?
- Do you have any questions for us?
Getting ready for the entire UI/UX designer hiring process
The hiring process of UI/UX designers is not your usual hiring process as it consists of a few more, special steps. Namely, the portfolio presentation and the UX challenge. The same advice applies to these as to the interview: with some prepping, you’ll have a much easier time. Here are some of our guides to help you prepare for the entire process: